DIFFERENT TYPE OF USB AND THEIR VERSIONS

In this fast moving digital world we came across different types of USB port. Have we ever realized how many varieties of USB connectors have been released till date?

This article is going to be informative as well as helpful for those who are willing to know about the different types of USB port and their versions.

 History behind USB port Invention:

Mr. Ajay bhatt, a person who invented USB port in the year 1996 to overcome some drawbacks and difficulties on data transfer. Before USB port invention, we used parallel port and serial port for communication purposes (data transfer) as well as for interfacing the peripheral devices, every peripherals had different controllers with different maze-like ports. Sometime we need programming for interfacing the peripheral devices, sometime need to restart the devices etc.,

 Different Types of USB port:

Whenever we hear the word USB the first thing that comes to our mind might be Pen drive storage or Micro USB (android mobile charger) but a lot more variety of USB cables are there, through this article we are going to see a little briefly.

USB connectors are classified in to three different types they are

(1) Type – A USB

(2) Type – B USB

(3) Type – C USB

Type – A USB

 In Type-A USB data transfer happens in two modes one is Uni-directional and another one is Bi-directional.

 In Uni-directional: we can execute only one operation i.e. either send data or receive data at a time.

 In Bi-directional: we can send and receive the data simultaneously.

 Type-A USB 1.0 version had Uni-directional data transfer and had the capability to transmit data at a maximum speed of 12 Mbps.

Type-A USB 2.0 version also had a Uni-directional data transfer and had the capability to transmit data at a maximum speed of 480 Mbps. This is faster when compare to the older USB 1.0 version and also much slower than the newer USB 3.0 version

Type – A USB 3.0 version simply known as Super Speed USB, works Bi-directionally which has a maximum bandwidth rate of 5 Gbps. That translates to 640 MBps which is ten times faster than USB 2.0.

Type – A USB 3.1 version has the capability to transmit data at a maximum speed of 10 Gbps.

Type – A USB 3.2 version has the promising capability to transmit data at a maximum speed of 20 Gbps.

Type – B USB

Type B USB 2.0 version & Type B USB 3.0 version ports are mainly used for interface purpose only, such as audio interfaces, external hard drives, and printers

Type – Mini USB

Type A Mini-USB 1.1 & Type B Mini-USB 2.0 USB ports are technically a smaller version of USB. This is most commonly used to charge mobile devices, also more often seen on Sony devices like old Walkman, the PlayStation’s etc., still we can find this port on some devices. The reason mini USB has faded out is because micro USB became more popular.

Type – Micro USB

Type A Micro-USB 1.1 & Type B Micro-USB 2.0 USB port are little small but this become a standard on most Android phones and all sorts of other devices like Bluetooth headphones, Power banks, also we can find it on the Sony PlayStation, Microsoft’s Xbox etc., Micro-USB was quite popular for a while, now it is started fading out due to new version Type-C cable.

 Type B Micro-USB 3.0 USB ports intended primarily for small portable devices such as smartphones, digital cameras and GPS devices. Micro-USB 3.0 plugs are larger than Micro-USB 2.0

 Type – C USB

Type-C USB 3.0 version features a smaller connector shape. It is reversible and easier to plug in any direction. They also offer a minimum transfer speed rate of 10 Gbps. Recently launched android devices started having a Type-C USB port now, also few Apple products like iPad Pros and MacBook Pro laptops came up with Type-C USB ports.

In this world 85% of USB ports and USB cables were used and used for charging android devices only, the rest 15 % utilized for data transfer and interfacing the peripherals.

Hope this article might helped you to know about USB ports and their versions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *